Lynn Brann, Department Chair
White Hall 550 L
Tiago Barreira, Tom Brutsaert, Kylie Harmon, Kevin Heffernan, Joon Young Kim, Kristen Konkol, Yaejin Moon
Donna Fecteau, Administrative Assistant
TBA, Office Coordinator
Programs in the Department of Exercise Science utilize course work in all aspects of human performance including the natural sciences, human physiology, anatomy, metabolic and muscular systems, and research and testing protocols.
Research and Facilities
The Department of Exercise Science research effort centers on the investigation of health related aspects of exercise. Department faculty research is integrative and allows for study at the cellular, tissue, and whole organism level.
General research interests of faculty in the Exercise Science Department include:
- Anti-inflammatory effects of exercise
- Effect of gene and environmental interactions on human athletic ability, health and disease
- Skeletal muscle adaptations to disuse and aging
- Obesity and Diabetes
- Physical activity promotion for individuals with disabilities and their families (Kinesiology for Individuals with Disabilities)
We also collaborate with the SUNY Upstate Medical University on projects and share some research and laboratory space. Collaborative research, clinical and educational opportunities are available for our students through SUNY UMU as well. The Institute for Human Performance, part of the SUNY UMU campus, is a 40,000 square foot facility of dedicated laboratory space for research in Human Performance.
Additional Exercise Science research facilities include:
- Clinical Research Laboratory
- Human Performance Laboratory
- Altitude Simulation Laboratory